STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- These points make up all of the terms of contract between Stray Ltd (‘Stray’ or ‘us/we’) and the customer (‘passenger/you’).
- Prices: All prices are in AUD and are inclusive of Goods and Services Tax (GST). Prices listed on Stray's website may be rounded. The final amount charged may vary +/- $0.50 of the advertised price.
- Stray passes and tours are only valid for the person whose name they were originally issued for and are non-transferrable. Passengers can expect to be Photo ID checked.
- Behaviour: Stray is not a common carrier and therefore can refuse to carry a person whose behaviour is detrimental to the enjoyment of the group. By travelling with Stray you agree to accept the authority of the Guide and accept their decisions. Our staff are entitled to a safe working environment, and our passengers to a great experience. Any threats to safety, being physical or verbal, or inappropriate behaviour may result in removal from the trip. If a Guide requires a passenger to leave the trip no refunds will be given and the passenger in question will be responsible for their own travel costs from that point.
- Published information: Stray will endeavour to adhere to published/stated departure, arrival and general travel times however on occasion, external and unpredictable events may prevent us from meeting these times. In these scenarios Stray is not liable for any loss or damage arising out of, or consequentially upon, any abandonment of, or delay in, any departure. We make a concerted effort to ensure the accuracy of our brochure, app and web content however on occasion details may vary. Liaise with your Guide or Stray’s reservations team for clarification. Where a new brochure has been published (as shown by the validity date) it supersedes all older brochures. Anything listed in the brochure as free is not considered included in the ticket price and is non-refundable and non-transferable, no matter what the circumstances.
- Sickness & injury: While all care will be taken, Stray will not be held liable for any sickness or injury to any customer.
- Visas: It is the passenger’s responsibility to carry a valid passport and appropriate visas while travelling on any Stray services.
- Travel Insurance: Travel insurance is not included with Stray passes or tours. Stray strongly recommends that you take insurance to cover you for accidents, injury, illness and death, medical expenses, including any related to pre-existing medical conditions, emergency repatriation (including helicopter rescue and air ambulance where applicable) and personal liability. Stray also recommends that it covers cancellation of part or all of a trip, curtailment and loss of/damage to luggage and personal effects. We do not take responsibility for any personal possessions lost under any circumstances. Our preferred insurance provider is World Nomads Travel Insurance as a good backpacker travel option because they cover a range of activities and adventure sports.
- Where third party operator services are included in Stray's passes/tours, Stray will make every endeavour to ensure the operator meets their obligations in the delivery of the service. If the Operator fails to deliver on their obligations Stray will seek a fair and reasonable resolution, which may result in a partial or full refund. If the expected level of service or inclusions have been misrepresented by the ‘booking agent’, the passenger will need to address their concerns directly with their agent. Stray takes no responsibility for any act of neglect by any company whose services are used as part of your trip including but not limited to, activity and accommodation providers.
- Stray accepts no responsibility for any independently operated activity a passenger chooses to undertake while travelling with Stray.
- Illegal activity: If passengers are caught with non-prescription, illegal drugs or partaking in illegal activities while travelling with Stray, any resulting consequences (incarceration) will result in the passengers Stray pass/tour being nullified (voided) without refund. Stray will refuse carriage and will take no responsibility for passengers partaking in illegal activities.
- Images and video: On occasion, Stray conducts photo and video projects for the purposes of promoting its products and services. Passengers on these trips will be given the option to opt out of any such activities. Passengers are to advise their Guide should they wish to be excluded. If you do not opt out you are consenting to Stray using the images taken whilst on your Stray trip for advertising and promotional purposes worldwide, royalty-free in any medium.
- Deposit payments: A deposit of 20% of the total product value is required upon booking. Full payment is required within 6 months of the booking or a minimum of 14+ days prior to departure (whichever comes first). If the full payment is not received in the designated time frame, Stray reserves the right to release any existing booking. Deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable. When you pay by deposit, you have committed to paying the price advertised at the time of booking, regardless of any price changes or alternative promotions that become available.
- Promotions with free inclusions or value-adds: A value-added product (which could be a pass, journey, accommodation, activity or good) is a product that is included free of charge with the purchase of another Stray product. Value-added products cannot be sold, transferred to another traveller’s name, exchanged for a refund or an alternative product. If a traveller is unable to redeem the value-add product within 12 months of the original purchase it is forfeited. Once travel has commenced, Stray's standard cancellation policy applies and neither of the bundled products is subject to a refund. If a promotion has bespoke terms or conditions for a free or value-added offer (e.g. travel date restrictions) these will supersede our standard conditions.
- Competitions and Prizes: Stray products included as part of a competition or prize pack cannot be exchanged for cash, sold or transferred. Products must be redeemed within 12 months of the announcement or within a specific time frame if stated in the competition/prize terms, or the prize will be forfeited. These generic terms apply unless a variation is specified in the competition's terms.
- Disputes: Should you wish to raise any issues regarding your trip, it is your responsibility to notify Stray as soon as possible so that we have every reasonable opportunity to resolve the issue.
- If you are currently travelling: Advise your Stray Guide of your concern immediately so that steps can be taken to address the matter. If you would prefer to contact Stray directly, email [email protected].
- If you have finished travelling: You must email [email protected] within 28 days of the dispute in question.
- Law: These terms and conditions apply to the extent that they are NOT inconsistent with, or in contravention of, any obligation imposed on Stray by Australian Law.
- Children: Stray Australia products are not suited to children under 12 years old. Children aged 12-16 may travel if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Travellers aged 16 or 17 years old can only travel alone with a signed consent form from a parent or guardian (contact Stray reservations for the form - [email protected]). Please note: some of Stray’s preferred accommodation is 18+, which means that any travellers younger than 17 may need to find alternative accommodation or stay in a private room.
- Luggage: Luggage must be limited to one backpack, bag or case per person with a maximum weight of 15kg’s as our buses have limited storage space. You may also travel with a daypack for cameras, valuables, raincoats and items you will need to access throughout the day. Stray does not take any responsibility for any damage to, or loss of, any property or personal effects under any circumstances, while passengers are utilising any of the services that Stray provides or markets.
- Fuel: We have fuel efficient buses to minimise our consumption but we reserve the right to put in place a fuel surcharge (at any time post ticket purchase) if fuel prices increase significantly during the pricing validity. Any surcharge will be payable to your Guide on your first day of travel. It will be a maximum of $30 AUD and will be clearly outlined online if initiated.
- Water safety: During your Stray trip there are options to be involved in swimming or water-based activities independent of Stray and its partners. It is the passenger’s sole responsibility to determine if he or she is qualified and capable of participating in any water activity, and if he or she chooses to participate it is at their own discretion.
- Fitness: Our tours are active so a reasonable amount of fitness is required. We undertake walks throughout the day to break up travel days. If you have any concerns regarding your suitability for any of our tours, please discuss this with our reservations staff before booking.
Stray’s standard terms and conditions outlined above apply. The below terms are in addition to our standard terms and unique to Freestyle Passes and Tours.
Validity: Stray’s Freestyle Passes and Tours are valid for 12 months from the first day of travel (subject to any normal visa restrictions). The pass must be activated within 12 months of purchase. You can hop on and hop off the Stray bus as often as you want, within this 12 month period. Passes are valid for travel in one direction over a route, with each travel sector only being able to be used once.
Failure to meet a reserved departure (‘no show’) will result in the cancellation of your booking on that travel day and this sector being forfeited. You must make your own way to the next destination.
Booking in Peak Season: Stray recommends booking your sectors 24 hours in advance, or at least by 5pm the day prior to departure to guarantee to your seat. In peak periods (e.g. Christmas, New Years, January, Easter, School Holidays) we recommend pre-booking your travel dates if you’re short on time, to avoid disappointment.
Public Holiday Travel: On Christmas Day and New Years Day there will be no Stray departures leaving Sydney or Cairns. Depending on your location, your Stray departure time, arrival time and/or inclusions may be altered on these days. Queensland Rail does not operate any departures on Christmas Day. Services that may have left the previous day but arrive at their destination on Christmas Day, may also be cancelled.
Cancellations: If you cancel your pass a cancellation fee will apply. See Stray's cancellation policy.
Changing a start date: If you purchased a Stray pass with 'travel anytime conditions’, you can change your start date to any available date within 12 months of the original booking. If you purchased a pass on promotion for a specific travel date (or travel period) and wish to change to a start date outside of the promotional terms, you can do so provided it is within 12 months of the original purchase. If the rate of the new departure is more than the original rate paid, you will be required to pay the difference. If the rate of the new departure date is less, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking.
Changing to an alternative pass: If you wish to change to an alternative Stray pass, you may do so provided the original booking and has been paid for in full. If you are upgrading to a higher value pass, you will be required to pay the difference. If you are downgrading to a lower value product, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking.
Itinerary changes: Stray may vary routes, activities, transport modes, number of departure days, departure times at its discretion – due to the nature of our product and the environment within which we operate. However if Stray cancels a trip departure or part-thereof, the customer will be offered an alternative option or alternative travel date. If the alternative does not suit the passenger a refund will be made available (or pro-rata if only a portion of a trip is cancelled). If a trip is cancelled due to an external event outside of Stray’s control (extreme weather, natural disaster, political unrest etc.) an alternative date will be offered otherwise standard cancellation fees apply. Travel insurance is strongly recommended to travel with Stray and customers should ensure their policy covers them for protection against unpredictable events.
Stoka Combo: The Stoka Combo was made available from 1 December 2017 - 14 March 2018. It includes a Stray Maximus Pass and a Loka Mick Pass. With both passes the traveller must commence travel within 12 months of purchase. From the first date of travel the traveller then has a have a further 12 months to complete each pass before it expires.
If you decide to cancel the Stoka Combo prior to commencing travel on either the Maximus or the Mick pass, then Stray's standard cancellation policy applies to the full Stoka Combo value ($1819 NZD).
If you have commenced travel with Stray NZ (Maximus Pass) and decide to cancel the Loka pass in Australia (Mick Pass), our standard cancellation fee will apply to [total Stoka value ($1819 NZD) less the value of the Maximus (as valued at the time of booking)].
If you have commenced travel in Australia with Loka (Mick Pass) and decide to cancel the Stray Maximus pass, our standard cancelation policy will apply to [total Stoka value ($1819 NZD) less the value of the Mick (as valued at the time of booking)].
Stray’s standard terms and conditions outlined above apply. The below terms are in addition to our standard terms and unique to Inclusive Tours.
Itinerary changes: Stray may vary itineraries, activities and transport modes at its discretion – due to the nature of our product and the environment within which we operate. However if Stray cancels a trip departure or part-thereof, the customer will be offered an alternative option or alternative travel date. If the alternative does not suit the passenger a refund will be made available (or pro-rata if only a portion of a trip is cancelled). If a trip is cancelled due to an external event outside of Stray’s control (extreme weather, natural disaster, political unrest etc.) an alternative date will be offered otherwise standard cancellation fees apply. Travel insurance is recommended to travel with Stray and customers should ensure their policy covers them for protection against unpredictable events.
Included: Transport, Guide, accommodation, activities and meals as specified in the itinerary. Meals are stipulated on your selected itinerary: (B) = Breakfast, (L) = Lunch and (D) = Dinner.
Dietary requirements and allergies: Any dietary requirements or allergies must be advised upon booking so they can be catered to where possible.
Accommodation: Accommodation is included at each overnight stop – none of our trips include the last night’s accommodation in our final destination. Linen is provided free of charge at all overnight stops. Upgrades to a private room are limited but may be available upon request and the difference can be paid direct to the operator.
Changing a start date: Changes are permitted up to 14 days prior to the original date of departure, providing your tour is paid for in full. The new requested departure date is subject to availability and must be within 12 months of your original booking. If the rate of the new departure costs more than the original, you will be required to pay the difference. If the rate of the new departure cost less, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking. Upgrades to twin/single rooms are subject to availability and not guaranteed.
Changing to an alternative product: If you wish to change to an alternative Stray product, you may do so provided the original booking and has been paid for in full. If you are upgrading to a higher value pass, you will be required to pay the difference. If you are downgrading to a lower value product, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking.
Cancellations: If you cancel your tour a cancellation fee will apply. See Stray's Cancellation Policy below.
Standard Cancellation Policy applies for: Stray Freestyle Passes, Stray Freestyle Tours, Inclusive Tours, Blue Mountains Day trip and the Melbourne Express Sector*.
Stray will charge the following fees in the event of booking cancellations:
8+ Days before departure (or open dated): 20% of fare
3-7 Days before departure: 50% of fare
Less than 48 Hours before departure: 100% of fare - passes/tours are non-refundable and non-transferable
Cancellations should be made with your original booking agent who may charge an additional fee. If you booked online please contact [email protected]
*If you have a confirmed departure date for the Melbourne Express sector, you will be subject to the express operator’s cancellation terms. These will be confirmed at the time of booking.