Greg’s here to guide you from Sydney to Brisbane on a route like no other. Taking you into the rainforest and off the beaten track, he’ll also bring you to hot spots like Byron Bay. See the route here.
Freestyle Tour Inclusions:
You'll be travelling up the coast on our comfortable Stray buses.
Local Tour Guide
Far more than just a guide - expect entertaining commentary, insight into local secrets and extra support from your tour guide.
8 nights accommodation included.
5 meals included.
(Any dietary requirements or allergies must be advised upon booking so they can be catered to where possible)
Top rated activities
Our Greg Freestyle Tour has heaps of awesome activity inclusions:
- Blue Mountains Day Trip
- Wine tasting, Hunter Valley
- River tubing, Barrington Tops National Park
- Surf lesson, Spot X Surf Camp
- Koala hospital visit, Port Macquarie
- Kangaroo spotting, Emerald Beach
- Canoeing experience, River Retreat
- Angourie Blue Pools, Yamba
- Byron Bay Orientation Drive
- Danger Point Border Crossing walk
Not Included: Additional meals and activities to the ones included above. This is not a fixed itinerary tour so depending on which day you depart you may need to pay for 1- 2 additional nights accommodation in some locations. The cost of additional accommodation outside of the 19 nights is not included, but can easily be booked with your guide or on the Stray Mate app.
Is this trip right for you?
✓ Do you want to explore with a group of like-minded travellers?
✓ Do you want to take the pressure off, kick back relax and let someone else organise your transport?
✓ Do you want your accommodation, some activities and some meals pre-paid for?
✓ Do you want to start in Sydney and finish in Brisbane?
The Greg Freestyle Tour is a 'beaut' choice for you!
More inclusions combined with the same flexibility to hop off anywhere along our route!
Our mission is to get you off the beaten track amongst authentic local culture and our experienced crew has chosen some incredible destinations so you can see more and do more. 'Strademark' Places are the places you're less likely to find in the guide book but the ones you'll be talking about long after the adventure has ended.
- Barrington Tops - Go tubing down the river and then relax in a giant hot tub on the edge of a national park with your fellow Stray Mates!
- River Retreat - Head out on canoes to spot wildlife, before cooking a group BBQ under the stars.
- Spot X - Shaka brah! There really is no better place to learn to surf and catch some waves along the East Coast.
- All the activities/accommodation listed are open-dated, please contact Stray’s reservations team ([email protected]) at least 48 hours prior to arrival to confirm your bookings. For Fraser Island and Whitsunday Sailing trip bookings, we recommend booking at least 7 days in advance to guarantee your spot.
- You can break your journey at any of the stops through any of the travel days and just connect with a later Stray bus or rail departure (guided or unguided). You can pre-book your own accommodation via our Stray Mate App or your guide will help book it for you.
- If travellers choose to hop-off and extend their stay in any location, all additional accommodation, meals and activities are at their own expense.
Get inspired and start planning your trip!
Travel smarter and safer - Stay covered on your adventures!
Want to start in Melbourne? Add on this sector for just $80!
Click 'Select Upgrade' when you purchase this pass.
Short on cash but don't want to miss out?
Deposit option available. Hit BOOK YOUR TRAVEL below and select from the payment options at checkout. Find out more.
All transport including the Stray bus between Sydney and Rainbow Beach/
and Cairns, local transfers an
d return Magnetic Island ferry
20 meals, 1
nights’ accommodation including 1 overnight train
Guidance from local guide
ccess to Stray Mate a
Blue Mountains Day Trip
Wine tasting Hunter Valley
Barrington Tops National Park
Surf lesson, Spot X Surf Camp
Koala hospital visit, Port Macquarie
Kangaroo spotting, Emerald Beach
Canoeing experience, River Retreat
Angourie Blue Pools, Yamba
Byron Bay orientation drive
Danger Point Border Crossing walk
Carlo Sand Blow Walk, Rainbow Beach
3 Day / 2 Night Fraser Island
Treasure Island Adventure
at Emu Park
Airlie Orientation Walk
2 Day / 1 Night Sailing Adventure
Forts Walk at Magnetic Island
Tully Gorge National Park Rainforest
Greg Freestyle Tour: Sydney > Brisbane 18/19
- Wednesday (Minimum 8 days)
- Friday (Minimum 8 days)
- Saturday (Minimum 9 days, extra night in Sydney)
For trips purchased after August 15 and beginning after Oct 1 2019:
- Monday (Minimum 10 days)
- Friday (Minimum 10 days)
The first day of your tour is your first night accommodation in Sydney. All tours include 2 nights accommodation in Sydney and a day trip to Blue Mountains.
The itinerary below is for the current season. Given the nature of our trips and lack of control over weather, what we do each day may occasionally vary.
Check into your centrally located hostel and get ready for your epic East Coast adventure. Start the Tour in Sydney with a day to yourself to discover the city sights and world famous landmarks.
Prepare for a day of adventure to see some of the most spectacular scenery in Australia. Our first stop out of Sydney is at Euroka to spot wild kangaroos and other wildlife in a natural clearing. Next, we stop off in the local town Glenbrook for a coffee/snack break to fuel up for a 1.5-hour hike to the stunning Wentworth Falls and viewpoints of the beautiful Jamison Valley. Enjoy a light picnic lunch and then trek to a remote waterfall and lookout. We head up to view the famous 3 Sisters lookout to take a couple of selfies, before driving back to central Sydney for a well-earned drink (beer/wine or soft drink).
We depart the big city early this morning to make our way to the Hunter Valley wine region for a tasting at an award-winning vineyard. From there, we carry on through the backcountry to our first stunning Strademark stop right on the edge of the World Heritage-listed Barrington Tops National Park. At our Stray exclusive accommodation overlooking the Barrington River, you’ll spend the afternoon river tubing on the mild rapids. Finish the day with a shared group dinner and a scenic soak in the massive hot tub.
We depart after breakfast and journey north through the remote countryside back towards the coast. Our next stop is the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital, where you can get a closer look at Australia’s laziest (and arguably cutest) marsupials. Check out the information centre to learn all about the hospital’s efforts to rehabilitate, protect and preserve the koalas. After this, we head to Emerald Beach, an iconic kangaroo hangout, where if you’re lucky you can spot them hopping along the beach. We arrive at our beachfront overnight stop Spot X in the early evening, where you’ll have dinner at camp.
The morning at Spot X you’ll take part in a fun group lesson to learn the basics of surfing on some of the best beginner waves in Australia. If you love the beach or are keen to hone your surf skills, we recommend staying longer to do a Surf & Stay. We depart around midday, grabbing a bite to eat in town before travelling to our relaxing, rural River Retreat. Spend the afternoon on a guided canoe trip down the Nymboida River to learn about the area, which is home to amazing birds, snakes, and the incredibly shy platypus, and unwind with a refreshing dip in the river. This evening, we’ll gather round a bonfire and sleep in wilderness cabins or tents beneath the stars.
Next up - Byron Bay, known as the most chilled out town in Australia. On the way there, we stop in the picturesque seaside town of Yamba for lunch. We'll also visit the Angourie Blue Pool, an old quarry that was accidentally (and awesomely) filled by an underground spring, meaning you can now cool off in an epic fresh water pool right on the beach! Upon arriving in Byron Bay, we’ll take you on an orientation drive around town to help you get your bearings, showing you the points of interest and the top spots for food and shopping.
You have a full free day in Byron Bay to "cheer up, slow down, and chill out” as the town’s famous welcome sign instructs. And there is plenty to do in this laidback hippy town: practice your surfing skills down at the beach, walk to mainland Australia’s most easterly point at the Cape Byron Lighthouse, search for dolphins and other marine life on a sea kayaking trip, visit the alternative town of Nimbin (additional cost), or wander around town sampling the delicious food and beverages on offer.
This morning we cross the border from New South Wales into Queensland. We then drive into Surfers Paradise, you may want to get off here to experience the sun, sand, tans and high-rises of Australia’s most developed beach area. We drop you off in Brisbane CBD for the end of your Stray experience with your final night’s accommodation included in Brisbane.
Greg Freestyle Tour: Sydney > Brisbane 18/19
Need to Know
Some key details...
- Transport - Travel by bus, train and even ferry for those heading to Magnetic Island! All included in the price of your pass and organised by Stray.
- Guides - Your Stray guide is your go-to for entertaining commentary, interesting facts, crazy stories and travel advice.
- Validity - This Freestyle Tour is valid for 12 months from your first day of travel.
- Hopping on/off - Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route. To hop back on, simply book your next travel date and pickup location through our Stray Mate app
- Minimum Days - You don't need to hop off on our Freestyle Tours - you can travel your pass in the "Minimum Days".
- Departures - Buses/trains run to a seasonal timetable with multiple departures per week.
- Booking Buses - Use the Stray Mate app to manage your trip - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your buses in advance.
- Accommodation & Activities - Your first nights' accommodation at at each spot (2 nights in certain locations), some meals, a bunch of our favourite activities as well as all our unique Strademark places are all included in the price. You’ll still have the option to extend your stay in the places you enjoy most and can book additional activities and accommodation via the Stray Mate app.
- Stray Travellers - Our travellers are from all over the world, are energetic, adventurous and mainly aged between 20-35. 75% of our travellers are travelling solo.