Kat will take you from Byron Bay to Cairns, and on tour with her you’ll have the chance to sail the Whitsundays, snorkel the Great Barrier Reef, and spend a night in the rainforest.
This pass is valid for travel AFTER 1 October 2019.
Want to start travel BEFORE 1 October 2019? Click here.
Freestyle Tour Inclusions:
You'll be travelling up the coast on a mix of our Stray buses, comfortable trains and ferry.
Local Tour Guide
Far more than just a guide - expect entertaining commentary, insight into local secrets and extra support from your tour guide.
16 nights shared dorm accommodation including 1 overnight train, 1 overnight boat cruise and 3 nights camping.
16 meals included.
(Any dietary requirements or allergies must be advised upon booking so they can be catered to where possible)
Top rated activities
Our Kat Freestyle Tour has heaps of awesome activity inclusions:
- Carlo Sand Blow Walk, Rainbow Beach
- 3-Day / 2-Night Fraser Island 4WD tagalong tour
- Great Keppel Island Adventure at Emu Park
- Airlie Orientation and Guided Rainforest Walk
- 2 Day/1 Night Whitsunday Sailing Tour
- Forts Complex and/or Radical Bay walking tour at Magnetic Island
- Tully Gorge National Park Rainforest
Not Included: Additional meals and activities to the ones included above. The cost of additional accommodation outside of the 16 nights is not included, but can easily be booked with your guide or on the Stray Mate app. $20 cash insurance to be paid to Fraser Island company + $10 for sleeping bag/linen hire on Fraser Island.
Is this trip right for you?
✓ Do you want to explore with a group of like-minded travellers?
✓ Do you want to take the pressure off, kick back relax and let someone else organise your transport?
✓ Do you want your accommodation, some activities and some meals pre-paid for?
✓ Do you want to start in Byron Bay and finish in Cairns?
The Kat Freestyle Tour is a 'beaut' choice for you!
More inclusions combined with the same flexibility to hop off anywhere along our route!
Our mission is to get you off the beaten track amongst authentic local culture and our experienced crew has chosen some incredible destinations so you can see more and do more. 'Strademark' Places are the places you're less likely to find in the guide book but the ones you'll be talking about long after the adventure has ended.
- Emu Park - Snorkels at the ready... Emu Park is the gateway to the incredible Great Keppel Island, home to some of the most diverse marine wildlife on the East Coast.
- Tully Rainforest Experience - Get off the grid in the world heritage Tully National Park, chase waterfalls and tell stories around the campfire.
- All the activities/accommodation listed are open-dated, please contact Stray’s reservations team ([email protected]) at least 48 hours prior to arrival to confirm your bookings. For Fraser Island and Whitsunday Sailing trip bookings, we recommend booking at least 7 days in advance to guarantee your spot.
- You can break your journey at any of the stops through any of the travel days and just connect with a later Stray bus or rail departure (guided or unguided). You can pre-book your own accommodation via our Stray Mate App or your guide will help book it for you.
- If travellers choose to hop-off and extend their stay in any location, all additional accommodation, meals and activities are at their own expense.
Get inspired and start planning your trip!
Travel smarter and safer - Stay covered on your adventures!
Short on cash but don't want to miss out?
Deposit option available. Hit BOOK YOUR TRAVEL below and select from the payment options at checkout. Find out more.
All transport including the Stray bus between Sydney and Rainbow Beach/
and Cairns, local transfers an
d return Magnetic Island ferry
20 meals, 1
nights’ accommodation including 1 overnight train
Guidance from local guide
ccess to Stray Mate a
Blue Mountains Day Trip
Wine tasting Hunter Valley
Barrington Tops National Park
Surf lesson, Spot X Surf Camp
Koala hospital visit, Port Macquarie
Kangaroo spotting, Emerald Beach
Canoeing experience, River Retreat
Angourie Blue Pools, Yamba
Byron Bay orientation drive
Danger Point Border Crossing walk
Carlo Sand Blow Walk, Rainbow Beach
3 Day / 2 Night Fraser Island
Treasure Island Adventure
at Emu Park
Airlie Orientation Walk
2 Day / 1 Night Sailing Adventure
Forts Walk at Magnetic Island
Tully Gorge National Park Rainforest
Kat Freestyle Tour: Byron Bay > Cairns
Tours begin with your first night's accommodation in Byron Bay. Your first travel day will be the following day.
The itinerary below is for the current season. Given the nature of our trips and lack of control over weather, what we do each day may occasionally vary.
Check in to your Byron Bay accommodation and prepare for the exciting days ahead. Byron Bay is a hippie hot spot and traveller favourite. There is plenty to do here if you have a few days up your sleeve – kayak with dolphins, walk to the lighthouse, or take a trip to nearby Nimbin.
This morning we cross the border from New South Wales into Queensland. Our destination today is Rainbow Beach, but those with more time might want to hop off and explore tourist hot spot Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast, Queensland's capital city of Brisbane, or the upmarket resort town of Noosa. Hop off in Noosa for the night or continue onto Rainbow Beach to start your Fraser Island adventure (make sure you’ve booked in the dates in advance with Stray). Once you’ve checked-in, you’ll have a safety briefing for your Fraser Island 4WD trip that starts the following morning. Afterwards, you'll welcome the chance to stretch your legs this evening with a walk to Carlo Sand Blow in Rainbow Beach to catch a gorgeous sunset.
Wake up early and head out for your 3 days and 2 nights on Fraser Island. Whilst on Fraser you’ll experience the largest sand island in the world, go on a 4WD expedition, explore the island and check out incredible sites to snap epic pictures, swim in lakes, natural pools and the ocean all in paradise.
Please note: You will need to pay a $20 cash insurance fee & $10 linen fee to take part in this activity.
After breakfast we'll drive up to stunning Eli Creek, the largest freshwater creek on the East Coast of the Island, which carves its way through to the beach and pours 80 million litres of water a day into the Pacific Ocean. After spending some time here, we head up to the famous Maheno Shipwreck for photo ops and some history about this Fraser icon. After lunch and another stop or two, we head back to the camp for dinner and drinks.
Today you’ll spend the morning walking through magical sand dunes and soaking up the sun. You’ll return back to Rainbow Beach (or Noosa) in the early afternoon.
After stopping briefly to pick up those who stayed in Noosa, we depart from Cooroy on our first train journey of the trip. Kick back for a scenic train ride to Rockhampton, where we meet the bus and head to our next Strademark destination, Emu Park. After arrival at the resort, you'll find out more about tomorrow's Treasure Island Adventure on the stunning Great Keppel Island.
This morning you head to a tropical paradise on our Treasure Island Adventure. Great Keppel Island is located on the southern of the Great Barrier Reef with untouched coral, turtles, reef fish and manta rays all straight off the beach. Relax or have a go at snorkeling or kayaking (additional cost) before exploring the island in search of the perfect white sand beach. Tonight, we’ll gather together for dinner at Emu’s Beach Resort before we catch our first overnight train to Airlie Beach.
Note: Some trips may have an extra night at Emu Park (additional cost).
The train arrives in Airlie early in the morning. Those of you with more time may want to hop off here, chill out today and go on your Whitsunday trip tomorrow. If you’re short on time, we’ll head to the breath-taking islands this morning. These picturesque islands are set in the Great Barrier Reef and are home to some of the world’s most pristine beaches. On this epic day adventure, you’ll visit Whitehaven beach, sail around the reef, see a huge variety of marine life and have the chance to swim and snorkel often.
Note: you can do the Whitsunday day tour on a later day if you wish to hop off and relax for a day or two first.
You'll be up with the parakeets this morning with a medley of transport to catch today. Travelling by bus, train and ferry (oh my!) we arrive at our destination of Magnetic Island in the late morning. Nearly 50% of ‘Maggie Island’ is national park land, and it's chock-full of amazing beaches and abundant wildlife. Your guide will join you on a walk to the Forts Complex for incredible views of the island and the opportunity to see koalas in the wild. Then, you can do more exploring on your own, hire a 4WD to cruise around the island or just relax by the pool.
Note: Depending on which day you depart you may have a free day on Magnetic Island
We catch the ferry back to the mainland in the morning, and travel by train to Tully, arriving at lunch time. From here we embark on our Stray exclusive Rainforest Experience, travelling by bus into the heart of the stunning Tully Gorge National Park. We’ll cool off in a beautiful swimming hole this afternoon, before heading to our camp for a BBQ dinner and an evening sharing stories around the campfire.
Start your day with an early breakfast followed by an interpretative walk through the forest, learning about the traditional indigenous usage of the land. There is also the opportunity to go white water rafting on the mighty Tully River through World Heritage-listed rainforest. In the afternoon, we return to Tully to jump on the train to our final destination, Cairns. We arrive by late afternoon, so you'll have time to get ready to celebrate the final night of your epic East Coast adventure.
Note: Some trips may have an additional night in Tully.
Today is the last day of your Stray adventure, but there are still plenty of activities and things to do from Cairns. Be sure to ask your guide for recommendations!
Kat Freestyle Tour: Byron Bay > Cairns
Need to Know
Some key details...
- Transport - Travel by bus, train and even ferry for those heading to Magnetic Island! All included in the price of your pass and organised by Stray.
- Guides - Your Stray guide is your go-to for entertaining commentary, interesting facts, crazy stories and travel advice.
- Validity - This Freestyle Tour is valid for 12 months from your first day of travel.
- Hopping on/off - Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route. To hop back on, simply book your next travel date and pickup location through our Stray Mate app
- Minimum Days - You don't need to hop off on our Freestyle Tours - you can travel your pass in the "Minimum Days".
- Departures - Buses/trains run to a seasonal timetable with multiple departures per week.
- Booking Buses - Use the Stray Mate app to manage your trip - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your buses in advance.
- Accommodation & Activities - Your first nights' accommodation at at each spot (2 nights in certain locations), some meals, a bunch of our favourite activities as well as all our unique Strademark places are all included in the price. You’ll still have the option to extend your stay in the places you enjoy most and can book additional activities and accommodation via the Stray Mate app.
- Stray Travellers - Our travellers are from all over the world, are energetic, adventurous and mainly aged between 20-35. 75% of our travellers are travelling solo.