Trev’s our southbound specialist, taking you from Cairns to Sydney on an action packed trip. You’ll see some unforgettable sights, and tick off all the bucket list destinations. See the route here.
Freestyle Tour Inclusions:
You'll be travelling down the coast on a mix of our Stray buses, comfortable trains and ferry.
Local Tour Guide
Far more than just a guide - expect entertaining commentary, insight into local secrets and extra support from your tour guide.
11 nights accommodation (including 1 overnight train, 2 nights at Magnetic Island and 2 nights at Emu Park).
7 meals included.
(Any dietary requirements or allergies must be advised upon booking so they can be catered to where possible)
Top rated activities
Our Trev Freestyle Tour has heaps of awesome activity inclusions:
- Forts Walk at Magnetic Island
- 2 Day, 1 Night Whitsunday Sailing Tour
- Airlie Orientation Walk
- Treasure Island Adventure
- 1 Day Fraser Island Day Tour
- Carlo Sand Blow Walk, Rainbow Beach
- Danger Point Border Crossing walk
- Byron Bay Orientation Drive
- Kangaroo Spotting, Emerald Beach
Not Included: Additional meals and activities to the ones included above. This is not a fixed itinerary tour so depending on which day you depart you may need to pay for 1- 2 additional nights accommodation in some locations. The cost of additional accommodation outside of the 19 nights is not included, but can easily be booked with your guide or on the Stray Mate app.
Is this trip right for you?
✓ Do you want to explore with a group of like-minded travellers?
✓ Do you want to take the pressure off, kick back relax and let someone else organise your transport?
✓ Do you want your accommodation, some activities and some meals pre-paid for?
✓ Do you want to start in Cairns and finish in Sydney?
The Trev Freestyle Tour is a 'beaut' choice for you!
More inclusions combined with the same flexibility to hop off anywhere along our route!
Our mission is to get you off the beaten track amongst authentic local culture and our experienced crew has chosen some incredible destinations so you can see more and do more. 'Strademark' Places are the places you're less likely to find in the guide book but the ones you'll be talking about long after the adventure has ended.
- Emu Park - Snorkels at the ready... Emu Park is the gateway to the incredible Great Keppel Island, home to some of the most diverse marine wildlife on the East Coast.
- You have the opportunity to hop off at Spot X - Shaka brah! There really is no better place to learn to surf and catch some waves along the East Coast.
- All the activities/accommodation listed are open-dated, please contact Stray’s reservations team ([email protected]) at least 48 hours prior to arrival to confirm your bookings. For Fraser Island and Whitsunday Sailing trip bookings, we recommend booking at least 7 days in advance to guarantee your spot.
- You can break your journey at any of the stops through any of the travel days and just connect with a later Stray bus or rail departure (guided or unguided). You can pre-book your own accommodation via our Stray Mate App or your guide will help book it for you.
- If travellers choose to hop-off and extend their stay in any location, all additional accommodation, meals and activities are at their own expense.
Get inspired and start planning your trip!
Travel smarter and safer - Stay covered on your adventures!
Want to finish in Melbourne? Add on this sector for just $80!
Click 'Select Upgrade' when you purchase this pass.
Short on cash but don't want to miss out?
Deposit option available. Hit BOOK YOUR TRAVEL below and select from the payment options at checkout. Find out more.
All transport including the Stray bus between Sydney and Rainbow Beach/
and Cairns, local transfers an
d return Magnetic Island ferry
20 meals, 1
nights’ accommodation including 1 overnight train
Guidance from local guide
ccess to Stray Mate a
Blue Mountains Day Trip
Wine tasting Hunter Valley
Barrington Tops National Park
Surf lesson, Spot X Surf Camp
Koala hospital visit, Port Macquarie
Kangaroo spotting, Emerald Beach
Canoeing experience, River Retreat
Angourie Blue Pools, Yamba
Byron Bay orientation drive
Danger Point Border Crossing walk
Carlo Sand Blow Walk, Rainbow Beach
3 Day / 2 Night Fraser Island
Treasure Island Adventure
at Emu Park
Airlie Orientation Walk
2 Day / 1 Night Sailing Adventure
Forts Walk at Magnetic Island
Tully Gorge National Park Rainforest
Trev Freestyle Tour: Cairns > Sydney
- Thursday (Minimum 15 days, free days in Airlie Beach and Rainbow Beach, 2 free days in Byron Bay)
- Sunday (Minimum 14 days, 2 free days in Rainbow Beach, 1 free day in Byron Bay)
For trips departing after Oct 1 2019:
- Thursday (Minimum 13 days, free days at Airlie Beach and Byron Bay)
- Sunday (Minimum 13 days, free days at Rainbow Beach and Byron Bay)
Tours begin with one night's accommodation in Cairns. Your first travel day will be the following day.
The itinerary below is for the current season. Given the nature of our trips and lack of control over weather, what we do each day may occasionally vary.
Check into your central located hostel and get ready for your epic East Coast adventure.
Note: Contact the Stray office to book in your Whitsunday sailing trip prior to arrival.
Meet: YHA Cairns or Cairns train station (please confirm prior to departure)
We travel by train south to Townsville, getting in around mid-afternoon and then take the ferry out to tropical ‘Maggie Island’. There is much to explore on the island, as nearly 50% of it is National Park with amazing beaches and abundant wildlife.
Today is yours free to do what you want and explore the Island. Hire a 4WD, check out the local wildlife park, go diving or just relax by the pool.
Meet: YHA Bungalow Bay
In the morning your guide will join you on the Fort’s walk, otherwise you can do some exploring, check out the local wildlife park or just relax by the pool. In the afternoon we travel back to the mainland on the ferry, then jump on the train to Proserpine, with a transfer to Airlie Beach arriving approx. 7pm.
Meet: 8.30am Abell Point Marina
Wake up early and head down to the marina in time for a 2-day, 1-night adventure through the breathtaking Whitsunday Islands. These picturesque islands are set in the Great Barrier Reef and are home to some of the world’s most pristine beaches. You’ll go on an epic sailing adventure, spending the night at sea. You’ll visit Whitehaven Beach and sail around the reef with various stops to get out and swim/snorkel, seeing plenty of marine life along the way. You’ll return back to Airlie Beach at the end of the second day to spend the night.
We wake early and enjoy more snorkeling and stunning beaches before returning to Airlie mid-afternoon. Depending on which day you depart, you may have a extra day in Airlie Beach to relax, otherwise early evening we head back to Proserpine train station and then travel to Rockhampton. From there we have a quick transfer to the cool, little coastal town of Emu Park where we spend 2 nights.
This morning we head to a tropical paradise like nowhere else on our Treasure Island Adventure. Our destination Great Keppel Island is located on the southern of the Great Barrier Reef with untouched coral, turtles, reef fish and manta rays all straight off the beach. Relax or have a go at snorkeling or kayaking (additional cost) before exploring the island. Late afternoon we head back to our hostel for dinner and to share photos from our big adventure.
We begin the day with an early morning bus transfer to the train. We travel to Cooroy then via Stray bus to Rainbow Beach. Rainbow Beach is the departure point for your Fraser Island day trip (make sure you’ve booked in the dates in advance). We recommend walking up to Carlo Sand Blow to see the amazing sunset.
Wake up early on Rainbow Beach and head out for your Fraser Island adventure. Whilst on Fraser you’ll experience the largest sand island in the world, explore the island, swim in lakes, walk through forests and check out incredible sites to snap epic pictures.
We have the morning to relax or do your choice of activities (extra cost), before heading south to the resort town of Noosa. You have to option to hop off here, Brisbane and/or at Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast, otherwise we head through to Australia’s coolest surf town, Byron Bay. We recommend hopping off here for a few days to learn to surf, head out the alternative town of Nimbin, or snorkel at the famous Julian Rocks (extra cost).
Meet: Main bus stop on Jonson St, Wake Up! Hostel or Arts Factory hostel (please confirm prior to departure)
We travel to Sydney via Spot X Surf Camp. Hop off if you want to learn to surf or just hang by the beach. We then express down to Sydney getting in early evening with drop offs to selected Sydney central hostels.
Trev Freestyle Tour: Cairns > Sydney
Need to Know
Some key details...
- Transport - Travel by bus, train and even ferry for those heading to Magnetic Island! All included in the price of your pass and organised by Stray.
- Guides - Your Stray guide is your go-to for entertaining commentary, interesting facts, crazy stories and travel advice.
- Validity - This Freestyle Tour is valid for 12 months from your first day of travel.
- Hopping on/off - Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route. To hop back on, simply book your next travel date and pickup location through our Stray Mate app
- Minimum Days - You don't need to hop off on our Freestyle Tours - you can travel your pass in the "Minimum Days".
- Departures - Buses/trains run to a seasonal timetable with multiple departures per week.
- Booking Buses - Use the Stray Mate app to manage your trip - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your buses in advance.
- Accommodation & Activities - Your first nights' accommodation at at each spot (2 nights in certain locations), some meals, a bunch of our favourite activities as well as all our unique Strademark places are all included in the price. You’ll still have the option to extend your stay in the places you enjoy most and can book additional activities and accommodation via the Stray Mate app.
- Stray Travellers - Our travellers are from all over the world, are energetic, adventurous and mainly aged between 20-35. 75% of our travellers are travelling solo.