Cam is Trev’s shorter brother, but he’s just as good looking. A one way ticket from Cairns to Brisbane, he’ll have you exploring island paradises, chilling out on white sand beaches, and brunching in Byron Bay. Pack your cozzy (swimsuit), and get ready for the best of Queensland. Click here to see the route.
Travel on comfortable buses and trains and hop-on hop-off anywhere along the route.
Local Tour Guide
Far more than just a guide! These guys are invaluable sources of local knowledge and support.
Have a bed reserved for you at every Stray overnight stop. Book and pay via our Stray Mate app.
12 month travel pass
Your pass is valid for 12 months from the first day of travel.
- Forts Walk, Magnetic Island
- Bluff Point walk, Emu Park
- Carlo Sand Blow Walk, Rainbow Beach
Not included: The cost of your accommodation and extra activities is not included in a hop-on hop-off pass. You have the flexibility to choose what suits your budget and pay-as-you-go. These can be booked via the Stray Mate app, often at an exclusive Stray price!
Is this trip right for you?
✓ Do you want to explore with a group of like-minded travellers?
✓ Do you want to take the pressure off, kick back relax and let someone else do the driving?
✓ Do you want the freedom to hop-on and off along the route?
✓ Do you want exclusive Stray discounts on accommodation and activities?
✓ Do you want to start in Cairns and finish in Brisbane?
The Cam Freestyle Pass is a beaut choice for you!
Want some accommodation, activities and meals included in the price? Check out the Cam Freestyle Tour.
Our mission is to get you off the beaten track amongst authentic local culture and our experienced crew has chosen some incredible destinations so you can see more and do more. 'Strademark' Places are the places you're less likely to find in the guide book but the ones you'll be talking about long after the adventure has ended.
- Emu Park - Snorkels at the ready... Emu Park is the gateway to the incredible Great Keppel Island, home to some of the most diverse marine wildlife on the East Coast.
Get inspired and start planning your trip!
Travel smarter and safer - Stay covered on your adventures!
Short on cash but don't want to miss out?
Deposit option available. Hit BOOK YOUR TRAVEL below and select from the payment options at checkout. Find out more.
The itinerary below is for the current season. Given the nature of our trips and lack of control over weather, what we do each day might occasionally vary.
N.B. Hop off at Rainbow Beach or Noosa to visit Fraser Island and at Airlie Beach to visit the Whitsundays.
G’day mate and welcome to your Stray adventure! Meet your Stray local legend first thing, who will make sure you have everything you need (especially your train tickets) before you jump aboard the train and head south to Townsville. You will arrive mid-afternoon and meet your Stray Guide at the station. We’ll travel together from there, taking the ferry out to our first overnight stop, the tropical Magnetic Island. Welcome to paradise! Nearly 50% of ‘Maggie Island’ is national park land, and it's chock-full of amazing beaches and abundant wildlife, so make sure you get out to do a little exploring before catching the sunset. Join in the group pizza dinner tonight (extra cost).
Join your guide today for a scenic walk. You might head off the beaten track to beautiful Radical Bay beach for an ocean dip and amazing photo opportunities. Alternatively, your guide will take you up to the historic Forts Complex, where you’ll see incredible views over the island and ocean beyond.
See More moment: This island paradise is your best chance on the East Coast to see koalas in the wild. Keep your eyes out for these sleepy marsupials, rock wallabies, and colourful birds as you explore the forested island.
The morning is yours to explore more of the island, visit the wildlife park or just relax by the pool. In the afternoon, we’ll travel back to the mainland by ferry, and jump on the train to Proserpine, transferring to Airlie Beach in the evening. Your Airlie-based Stray Guide will meet you off the train and accompany you on the bus into Airlie Beach, where they’ll give you a brief orientation of the town to help you get your bearings.
You have a full free day in Airlie Beach to soak up the tropical vibes. Join a multi-day sailing adventure around the famous Whitsunday Islands, jump out of a plane over the beautiful tropics, or just relax and spend your day discovering the local area. There are some beautiful rainforest hikes in the vicinity, and a splash in the lagoon is a must do on a hot afternoon.
Please Note: Some trips may have an extra night at Airlie Beach.
Spend most of the day at your leisure in Airlie Beach, before we jump on the train to Rockhampton in the early evening. Our destination tonight is our Strademark stop of Emu Park. Emu Park is a cool little coastal town and the gateway to the Keppel Islands on the southern end of the Great Barrier Reef. (Be sure to book Emu’s Beach Resort and the Great Keppel Island Adventure in the Stray Mate App prior to arrival.)
See More moment: Our stay at Emu Park provides your chance to get up close and personal with the Great Barrier Reef. You’ll have the chance to snorkel and play amongst one of the seven wonders of the world.
Today we highly recommend taking part in a Stray highlight, an Island Adventure on the tropical paradise of Great Keppel Island, with untouched coral, turtles, reef fish and manta rays all straight off the beach. We catch the ferry in the morning for a day of swimming, walking, snorkelling with turtles or kayaking (additional cost) before exploring the island itself in search of the perfect white sand beach for a little afternoon rest and relaxation. You’ll ferry back to the mainland in the late afternoon and gather together again at Emu’s Beach Resort.
We begin our day with an early morning bus to the train station. It’s a scenic train journey from here to Cooroy, where you'll meet your Stray Driver Guide and bus to head to Rainbow Beach. Rainbow Beach is a gateway to the world-famous Fraser Island, the world’s largest sand island. From here you can opt to take part in a multi-day tour of the island, or just spend your afternoon relaxing in this beachside paradise. Don’t miss the chance to walk to Carlo Sand Blow to catch a gorgeous sunset.
We hop back on the Stray bus this morning, heading to the relaxed resort town of Noosa. You can hop off here or join us as we continue down the coast to our final destination today Brisbane. We hope you had a blast on your Stray adventure!
The days and times shown below are for the current season. To see future timetables, please visit our Timetables page. N.B. These are subject to change based on weather.
- Monday (Minimum 10 days, extra free day at Rainbow Beach)
- Wednesday (Minimum 10 days, extra free day at Airlie Beach)
Cairns to Magnetic Island
|Cairns (Depart )||08:00||08:00|
|Cairns - Train Station (Depart)||08:35||08:35|
|Tully - Train Station (Depart)||11:15||11:15|
|Townsville - Train Station (Depart)||14:39||14:39|
|Magnetic Island (Arrive)||16:00||16:00|
|Magnetic Island (Free Day)||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free|
Magnetic Island to Airlie Beach
|Magnetic Island (Depart)||13:00||13:00|
|Magnetic Island Ferry Terminal (Depart)||13:30||13:30|
|Townsville Train Station (Depart)||14:54||14:54|
|Airlie Beach (Arrive)||18:50||18:50|
|Airlie Beach (Free Day)||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free|
Airlie Beach to Emu Park (O/N Train)
|Airlie Beach (Depart)||17:05||17:05|
|Proserpine - Train Station (Depart)||18:11||18:11|
|Rockhampton Train Station (Depart)||12:29||12:29|
|Emu Park (Arrive)||01:00||01:00|
|Emu Park (Free Day)||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free|
Emu Park to Rainbow Beach
|Emu Park - Emus Beach Resort (Depart)||06:00||06:00|
|Rockhamption - Train Station (Depart)||07.10||07.10|
|Miriam Vale (1770) - Train Station (Depart)||09:06||09:06|
|Maryborough West (Hervey Bay) (Depart)||10:58||10:58|
|Rainbow Beach (Arrive)||14:30||14:30|
Rainbow Beach to Brisbane
|Rainbow Beach (Depart)||10:00||10:00||10:00||10:00|
Need to Know
Some key details...
- Transport - Travel by bus, train and even ferry for those heading to Magnetic Island! All included in the price of your pass and organised by Stray.
- Guides - Your Stray guide is your go-to for entertaining commentary, interesting facts, crazy stories and travel advice. Between Sydney and Rainbow Beach, your Guide is also your Bus Driver. Between Rainbow Beach and Cairns, where we travel on the fast, comfortable trains, you'll have In-Location Guides who will meet you at the station and show you around.
- Validity - This Freestyle Pass is valid for 12 months from your first day of travel.
- Hopping on/off - Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route. To hop back on, simply book your next travel date and pickup location through our Stray Mate app
- Minimum Days - You don't need to hop off if you're short on time - you can travel your pass in the "Minimum Days". There are non-travel days throughout the route so you will not be travelling everyday.
- Departures - Buses/trains run to a seasonal timetable with multiple departures per week.
- Booking Buses - Use the Stray Mate app to manage your trip - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your buses in advance.
- Accommodation - Book Stray preferred accommodation as you go via the Stray Mate app - there will be a dorm bed allocated to you at each overnight stop providing you book via the app 24 hours before.
- Activities - Book activities as you go via the Stray Mate app.
- Stray Travellers - Our travellers are from all over the world, are energetic, adventurous and mainly aged between 20-35. 75% of our travellers are travelling solo.